Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Places

There are places on earth where the hand of God, the vision of a generation and the perfection of art and science meet. When that happens, Beauty is no longer an idea: you can walk into it, touch it, and live it. The village of Pienza, inspired by Leon Battista Alberti’s concept of “Ideal City”, is one of those places.

I might not be knowledgeable enough about history, philosophy and architecture but I will try to explain what the magic of Pienza is for me. Many grandiose architectural creations around the world make the visitor feel humbled with their striking features. Pienza’s Pio II square, by many standards relatively small, is yet so perfectly and beautifully proportioned that when I was there, for the first time in my life, I didn’t feel I was staring at a masterpiece, I felt part of it.








1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy I had the chance to visit this city thanks to someone special. It truly is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been!!

    ReplyDelete